Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Nutrition II

We get some basic lectures on nutrition with a heavy focus on what we need to know as doctors. I like that; nutrition is such a complicated, pervasive, and fashionable subject that we could easily get lost in trying to figure out fad diets and the latest trends. While that would certainly be interesting, I don't think it's essential to medical care. I'm sure many people out there know far more nutrition than I do. Instead, we focus on treating diseases like obesity and vitamin deficiencies. There are so many different vitamins, minerals, and organic compounds that we need, it often impresses me that most people, with such diverse backgrounds, diets, and eating habits, can satisfy the basic needs of the body. I certainly don't know what foods I eat have folate, but somehow, I am not folate deficient. Hopefully, these nutrition lectures will give me a greater awareness of what I eat and encourage me to be more healthy. I also expect that I will give nutrition a little more weight in the future when I consider what may be wrong with a patient or how to treat a disease.

No comments: