Monday, June 16, 2008

Poem: Tessera

This is a new poem which still needs a lot of work.

Tessera

Where does the accent go in the word tessera?
Does it hop onto the first e it sees
making a less dynamic cousin of Tesla
or does it ride the second syllable, suave and Spanish?
I can almost see the accent running late, hand holding hat
from flying in the air as it leaps onto the train
and chugs behind on the last a, a caboosing rhyme with hurrah.
Even though they seem to be all the rage these days,
I really never understood cabooses,
if such things can come in the plural.
Back in my day (a fortdecade ago),
I had no train freewheeling figure eights
around a Christmas tree, no model tracks
to click together for the praise of engineering parents.
I had simply a teddy bear who now has cataracts,
his eyes glazed from rambunctious trips into space
or the Wild West or some other childhood haunt
that escapes my aging imagination,
where the foliage of the trees has overgrown the forest.

No comments: