Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Accessories

There are a host of other conferences, meetings, and lectures on this rotation. Indeed, I could spend the bulk of my time listening and learning without even leaving the hospital. Of note, we have a humanities discussion group where we read short stories, discuss nonfiction (Gawande's "The Itch"), and practice meditation to give us insight into non-medical aspects of psychiatric and neurological illnesses. We have didactics oriented to medical students as well as grand rounds targeting faculty; topics range from adult to child and adolescent psychiatry. Occasionally, we even have evening conferences. Though I've always been tired, I found the night-time neuroscience review and case conference to be fantastic (they're lead by some of my favorite faculty). I like this mix of structured and unstructured learning.

No comments: