Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Being a Male Medical Student

Going into my obstetrics and gynecology rotation, there was a little apprehension because being a male medical student. How does that change things? How receptive are patients to my participation? Will I be declined as part of the health care team because of my gender or role? I think that generally, things have gone really smoothly. Although I've had patients decline my involvement, that only happens a few times a week. The overwhelming majority of patients don't mind at all, and I've felt that many have especially appreciated my role in their care (particularly on labor and delivery). Given how personal and sensitive this area of health can be, I have been pleasantly surprised by how willing patients are to having me talk to them, examine them, deliver their baby. I've also been surprised that attendings have really been trying to persuade me to go into ob/gyn.

No comments: