Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Primary Care Pediatrics I

My week in primary care pediatrics was great. Nearly all the visits were well child checks (interspersed with follow-ups from hospital or emergency department visits). Most of the children were 2 weeks to 4 years (once they get their Kindergarten vaccinations, visits are less regular). I learned a lot about developmental stages, nutrition, anticipatory guidance, and vaccinations. But most of all, I enjoyed playing with the patients. I love four-month-olds who are beginning to interact with people around them, adorable and fun, tracking, laughing, and trying to roll. I also love four-year-olds who will answer questions and try to balance on one foot and copy drawings. One four year old patient told me her favorite animal was a "T-rex" and another told me she wanted to be a psychiatrist when she grew up (where she learned the word, I don't know). These kids are bursting with imagination, creativity, and energy. It makes me really happy to be around this patient population.

No comments: