Friday, June 26, 2009

Living in the Hospital

I'm nearing the end of the dreaded 13 day stint on this rotation. The truth is, this rotation is pretty benign, but even benign schedules make me wince. We're here for 12 hour shifts every weekday, and I have a Saturday call (so a 30 hour shift from Saturday to Sunday noon) followed by a Friday call. So I've been in the hospital for 13 days in a row. By old timers' standards, it's easy, only 84 hours a week; I'm splitting time evenly between home and the hospital (there are 168 hours in a week). I shouldn't be allowed to complain about that. Even on my surgery rotation, I reached a hundred hour work week. But it's still tiring, and I'm itching for a quiet call night and a free Sunday. On the other hand, it is quite nice to be on for such an extended period of time. I know all the patients, I know all their issues, there are no surprises.

No comments: