Friday, September 18, 2009

Echos

This is my first formal introduction to echocardiograms and it is really fun. Previously I didn't understand enough to get anything out of looking at the images. But on this rotation, we have formal from-the-basics instruction about how to read a transthoracic echocardiogram. Now I find echos really satisfying to read because they're so rich with information. A lot of it is visual pattern recognition of various views and how valves move, but there is a fairly systematic methodology of looking at images. It also takes practice; when I started, I couldn't see valvular regurgitation, but now I'm beginning to notice the details of Doppler. It's really fun to see pathology, whether it is segmental wall motion abnormalities or a mechanical valve or aortic insufficiency or a thrombus. Learning about echocardiograms really makes me realize how visualizing the physiology or pathophysiology of a process can be key in understanding the clinical syndrome.

Image of the four chamber apical view transthoracic echocardiogram is from Wikipedia, in the public domain.

No comments: