Sunday, November 15, 2009

900

It scares me that I'm 6 months shy of an MD. In 6 months, there will be an expectation that I know something, that in the event of childbirth, a car accident, a natural disaster, I will spring into action and make things right. If a flight attendant asks, I will be expected to stride to the front of the plane with confidence and resuscitate a peanut anaphylaxis or reverse a choking hazard. There will be a responsibility in 6 months that I act not out of self-interest but on the behalf of others, some of whom may be unable to advocate for themselves. In 6 months, my signature will no longer need a co-signature; it will have the force of an "order" and the gravity of a legal document. I will need to know when to ask for help, when to have someone double check my work, things that will not happen automatically. In 6 months, I will be responsible for a medical student in the same place I'm at now. Where will I be in 6 months? Will I be ready?

No comments: