Monday, April 26, 2010

Broadening my Perspectives

Much of my personal growth and transformation in these last four years of medical school has been learning to broaden my perspectives, do away with stereotypes, and avoid unwarranted judgments. When I started, I considered myself to be open minded and accepting of everyone and any lifestyle. But as I encountered people further and further from my way of life - pregnant teenagers, IV drug users, victims of gang violence who vowed to hurt those who put them in the hospital, parents accused of child abuse - I had to actively work to maintain this frame of mind. Even little things like HIV-infected patients who were happily married with 3 kids surprised me - and I don't know why; we're taught that anyone sexually active is at risk for the disease, so why should this situation bother me? Medical school has been a really enlightening experience. No matter how liberal, open, and accepting I thought I was before, I continually encountered situations that made me aware of how close-minded I could be. How can you not judge someone accused of domestic violence or who knowingly has HIV yet refuses to be treated or have safe sexual practices? This was a question I asked myself a lot. Because my professional role was to remain a patient advocate regardless of his moral nature, I found myself in quandaries at times. It's not easy to be tolerant of anyone and anything.

No comments: