Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treat

I am on call on Halloween and the admissions are quite slow today - is it a trick or a treat?

You'll often find residents gasp at such statements for the fear that we might jinx a pleasant call night. This is quite amusing to me. Physicians are some of the most rational, logical people I know - we call upon data and science and reason to justify our decisions and statements - and yet, almost every resident has this superstitious belief that we can jinx our call night if we say the wrong thing ("gosh, it's slow today"). I actually don't worry too much about what I say (you may notice this in the blog) but if five chest pains roll into the ED at midnight, I guess I might change my feelings about it all.

In other news, it makes me happy that the radiology techs today are dressed up in costumes (a pirate, a knight, a cowgirl).

Image shown under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License.

No comments: