Tuesday, February 15, 2011

OB/GYN

I figure I'd continue the posts about patient populations I haven't seen since medical school and write about the pregnant patient. Pregnancy is always a consideration in the emergency room with any woman of the right age complaining about abdominal pain. Furthermore, a lot of women with first or third trimester bleeding come in, worried. Luckily, I had just reviewed these issues while studying for Step III of Boards, but real-life patients are of course more challenging than test questions. One of the more exciting things I did recently was a quick belly ultrasound in a patient at 16 weeks of pregnancy to find the fetal heart tones. It was quite satisfying to put the probe on the belly with Doppler and see the fetal heart beating. I have to say, being a jack of all trades is pretty fun sometimes.

No comments: