Monday, July 04, 2011

Farewell to Internal Medicine

It feels odd that the last year, I worked so hard to learn as much of internal medicine as I could, and now I'm changing fields. I really immersed myself in medicine, especially since it was a close second in career choice. I love it, and it seems core to what I've enjoyed in the last five years. I feel that I could have easily become a second year medicine resident. I will miss it. Medicine encompasses a lot of what I imagined when I thought of being a doctor prior to medical school, and I have a certain affinity to it. There are people who never liked the endless rounding, the theory and pathophysiology, the thinking but not doing - but I was never one of those people.

Now that I am starting a new and exciting field, I'm sure I'll keep my medicine tools handy; I'll continue to follow along peripherally and learn some of the cutting-edge developments. I'll read consultations closely because I enjoy it, I'll keep my experiences in the last year close to my heart. I'm sure I'll run into my colleagues in the hospital. Some say anesthesia is simply medicine of the operating room, and I hope that my internship will serve me well.

No comments: