Friday, November 18, 2011

A Taste of Our Own Medicine

As an intern, some of the most common pages I got were: "patient requesting something for sleep" or "patient is itchy." Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), shown above, was an occasional response. I'm currently on night shifts (a future blog later) and so I took some diphenhydramine to help sleep during the day. It hit me hard. I got a ton of side effects, including dry mouth, ataxia, blurred vision, difficulty concentrating, dizziness, and irritability. It didn't even help me sleep all that well. It was a taste of my own medicine. It reminded me that even medications we consider routine can have potent side effects, and when given to elderly, sick, hospitalized patients, can lead to adverse events like falls. Nothing is completely safe.

Image shown under Fair Use, from myhealth.ucsd.edu.

No comments: