Friday, December 16, 2011

Lark

My friend Julia Hu invented a silent alarm clock, Lark, and founded a company based on it which has taken off tremendously. Since it is that time of year, I figured I'd mention it in case anyone is looking for a holiday gift. She came up with the idea after realizing that traditional alarm clocks are incredibly disruptive both for the sleep of the person waking up as well as any roommates or sleeping partners. She designed, engineered, and created a pleasant vibrating wristband that gently nudges the intended individual awake, leaving any others sleeping in peace. She's worked with sleep experts to create a personal sleep coach where the wristband monitors and records the quality of sleep at night. Since I started using it, I've been quite surprised to find how easy it is to sleep with, how pleasant it is to wake up, and how fascinating it is to track my sleep schedules. I've been getting even less sleep than I expected. For someone with a variable schedule, it's a great device; I've even tried it on call and found it perfect (soon, I hope they connect it to the paging system). In any case, I rarely write about products, but this one I like. Visit Lark for more information.

Image shown under Fair Use.

No comments: