Saturday, June 30, 2012

Goodbyes

I wrote a few days ago about the changing of the guard, that July transition when each resident progresses a year in stature while new interns join the fray. But I didn't think too much about those who are finishing, those fourth year anesthesia residents who will now graduate as full-fledged independent anesthesiologists. The Stanford anesthesia family is by no means small; we have 24 anesthesia residents each year. And because of the nature of anesthesia, we don't often work with other residents. But over time, we get to know many of those in the classes ahead of us; they bestow upon us their wisdom and we admire them as the type of residents we hope to become. Congratulations to all those who have finished that long toil of residency. I am so, so happy for you, though I have to say I'll be a little sad not to see you in the breakfast nook or PACU or mailroom every day.

No comments: