Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pedigree

Many years ago, when I was an undergraduate, I worked in a lab that studied adrenergic receptors, G-protein coupled receptors that bind catecholamines in the body. Recently, the Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to two of the founding fathers who first began to understand adrenergic receptors: Brian Kobilka and Robert Lefkowitz. Strangely enough, they are almost research grandfathers to me. My principal investigator for my undergraduate research did his PhD in Dr. Kobilka's lab. When I interviewed at Duke for the MD/PhD program, I had an interview with Dr. Lefkowitz and chatted to him about his research. It's funny how small the research world is, and I'm thrilled that the Nobel prize was awarded to these two amazing pioneers who have not only elucidated receptor chemistry but also touched my life as well.

Image is in the public domain, from Wikipedia

No comments: