Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Liver

You can probably tell from the last few posts, and I promise this will be the final one about liver anesthesia, but I had a great time on the rotation. I only had two transplants, but they were rewarding and exhausting. The goals of anesthesia vary from case to case, and being a satisfied anesthesiologist is finding the cases whose goals resonate. In an outpatient surgery center, the goal is to expedite quick wake-ups, discharge, and turn-overs. In neurologic surgery, the goal is to select anesthetics that protect the brain and allow a quick neurologic exam at the end of the case. In liver transplants, the goal is to keep the patient alive. Those anesthesiologists who balk at real risk, who gravitate towards happy and healthy patients need not apply. But for me, the type of person who loves "big" cases, complex medical decision making, facility with procedures and their interpretation, the liver room is the place to be. I had a fabulous time with the challenge, and it gave me my moments of anxiety. But at the end of the rotation, I think I am a better anesthesiologist as a result. Hopefully, when I finally go out to find a job, I can incorporate cases like this because the challenge is thrilling.

No comments: