Saturday, November 09, 2013

Ergonomics in the Operating Room

I find it a little ironic that in the operating room, we pay painstaking attention to positioning the patient to prevent nerve injuries yet I think I am developing a minor nerve palsy from poor ergonomic attention to myself. While a patient is anesthetized, they cannot protect their pressure points, so we pad their elbows, make sure the shoulder is not overly abducted, protect the radial and ulnar nerves. Yet I constantly find myself typing into the electronic record at an awkward angle, bending down to difficult-to-access drawers, and lifting heavy equipment. Now that I'm starting to get right shoulder pain and some carpal tunnel syndromes, I wish I was better aware of my occupational health hazards. We cannot care for patients if we do not care for ourselves.

No comments: