Monday, April 07, 2014

Sorry for the Gap in Blogs!

Like anything, residency comes in ebbs and flows. Some months, especially for new rotations, are busier and more exhausting. Even if I don't spend that much time in the hospital, new rotations can be mentally and emotionally exhausting. It's strange because I don't work as long hours or as many days as I did in internship, I feel like I have more things competing for my time. Perhaps it is this strange phenomenon where getting a little free time paradoxically makes me more busy than if I had no free time at all. This is true talking to older attendings who, during their residencies, gave up all hope of a life outside the hospital. By setting such expectations, all their hours were focused on medicine, but this was considered a necessary sacrifice. Now, I have an inkling of freedom, and I want to cultivate all these extracurricular interests. I dabble in a few, and suddenly, I have grossly overestimated what I can do, and I'm frantically scrabbling to prioritize, salvage, do, play, and sleep. In any case, I know that my life is much easier than it was in internship, but I'm finding it tougher to blog consistently. This next month won't be any better as I'm starting in the cardiovascular ICU, a notoriously busy month. I'll still be blogging about last months activities, though, on my regional anesthesia rotation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always nice to hear from you when you're able!

Craig said...

Thanks for the support!