Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Back from Vacation

In residency, work is never far. Three days before my wedding, I got to facilitate a small group session of first year medical students learning cardiovascular physiology for the first time. I had a great time. Teaching and education have always been interests of mine, and although I spent a good amount of time teaching when I was a fourth year medical student, I haven't had much of an opportunity to do so since. Facilitating a small group isn't too tough of a job. The medical students come prepared and eager, and so the small groups tend to run themselves. I am simply available to clear up any confusion, guide the group, and provide my "clinical expertise."

Of course, the day I get back from my honeymoon, I'm on call in the main OR. It turned out to be a pretty reasonable call night, which was a relief, but it goes to show, residency doesn't leave a lot of leeway for vacation. For me, though, the transition from vacation to work isn't too bad; I had a challenging case with a thoracic epidural, inhalation induction, 2.5L of blood loss, and hemodynamic stability. Ah, the life of an anesthesiologist.

No comments: