Saturday, February 28, 2015

Advanced Trauma Life Support

I just attended a two day course to certify in advanced trauma life support, a requirement for ICU fellows. On the one hand, it seems like there's some formal certification process for every little thing these days, but on the other hand, I did learn a bit. Whether certifications make a difference at all is a topic for a different blog. But ATLS training is designed for surgeons, emergency physicians, and other physicians who might encounter the surgical trauma patient. It covers the initial triage and assessment of victims of penetrating and blunt injuries, from gunshot wounds to stab wounds to falls to car accidents. We learn the skills to place chest tubes, decompress blood from outside the heart, and place splints. Some of the material involves things I know well - how to secure an airway (taught at a very basic level) while other things I seldom encounter (when was the last time I saw a gun shot wound at Stanford?). Interestingly enough, much of the material I remember from being a medical student in the trauma intensive care unit at SFGH. Ultimately, I think it's unlikely I'll be the lone responder for a trauma patient, but I suppose it's good to refresh my knowledge of trauma care.

Image is shown under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License, from Wikipedia.

No comments: