Sunday, June 28, 2015

Social Reforms

The recent Supreme Court rulings on equality in marriage and against the three strikes rule for offenders have been very refreshing. They feel like pivotal decisions that impact my community and matter to me. In some ways, they feel so revolutionary that I might look back decades later and reflect on how our society has evolved. These past few days have gotten me thinking that there are a lot of social issues that I feel strongly about. They matter to me, and not because of my values or principles or upbringing, but because I take care of patients for whom these issues change everything. I think beyond my friends and colleagues who are gay, but also to my patients who are gay. I think of the children I've cared for who have same-sex parents, inmates I've seen who've spent their entire life in prison, and victims of discrimination and violence. Small changes like affirming the right for marriage and due process will make a significant difference for these people. As a physician and as a person in the community, I ought to stand up for those issues that matter to me. We do not live in a bubble, we do not operate solely in the hospital, and our patients' problems are not purely medical. We have the obligation to speak loudly, support those reforms we think will help our community, and engage in a collaborative society.

No comments: