Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Intensive Care and Anesthesia

Now that I am back to doing mostly anesthesia, there is no doubt in my mind that doing subspecialty training in critical care has made me a better anesthesiologist. It could simply be the effect of doing another year of clinical training, but I think it's more than that. It's also more than just the book learning, the medical knowledge of being in the ICU. Critical care does teach a lot that anesthesiologists don't regularly think about; we look at trials on complex ventilator management, focus on organ systems anesthesiologists are less familiar with, and see the natural history of complicated disease processes. But there's also a skill component to it. One of the most important things I learned as an ICU fellow is the ability to manage complex crisis situations in an articulate fashion. So often as an ICU fellow I would arrive at a code with no idea who the patient was or what happened, but I would be expected to take control of that situation. In the operating room, I translate those intangible skills into assessing the last-minute emergent add-on case of a sick patient needing major surgery. When time matters (when seconds count), I quickly determine what I need to know to care for someone effectively. In the last year I also learned leadership and communication skills that we don't often get in medical training. When a medical crisis happens, I keep calm, and indeed, I notice that in my anesthetic management now. Situations that used to cause me panic and cause my brain to lock up now flow smoothly. I am a much better physician after a year of ICU training.

This fascinates me because I had all the knowledge and procedural skills I needed to be an anesthesiologist after completing residency. Fellowship just put me into a myriad of situations that accelerated learning from experience. I think most physicians who deal with crisis situations learn these nuanced approaches and subtle perspectives over time; ICU fellowship simply drew it out of me.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Interesting thoughts here. I think you really hit the nail on the head here. So many different professions can learn from each other in ways you don't often realize until after it's happened. Thanks for sharing your insight!