Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Book Review: The Golem and the Jinni

One of the best books I read recently was Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Jinni. It is an impressive first novel and reminds me strongly of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. As historical and fantasy fiction, it takes place at the end of the 19th century, a time period I love. She describes the adventures of two magical beings, a golem and a jinni, who encounter each other in New York City. The juxtaposition of these fantastical creatures with turn-of-the-century New York actually isn't that strange. They are immigrants that live within pockets of immigrants, trying to understand and assimilate into human culture. To me, this novel evokes the experience of strangers entering a strange land, and the magic in it doesn't feel gimmicky; rather it feels quite natural, as if such things ought to belong.

Her plot is engaging, fascinating, and inventive. Her characters are memorable and easy to sympathize with. The writing is accessible and beautiful. I never felt bogged down by the book, and though it takes a leisurely pace, it meanders and dips into such intricately described lands and situations that the reading went fast. I really loved this book; it was a well of relaxation that sopped up the stress of my last few weeks.

Image shown under Fair Use, from Wikipedia.

No comments: