Saturday, January 02, 2016

2016

This year, I hope to continue learning and growing. In all aspects of my life, I have so much to think about, work on, practice, and improve. I begin that life-long journey of continuing education. When I think about this, I don't necessarily want to gain more knowledge, though of course, I will continue to expand that. But rather, I hope to find that indelible and inscrutable stuff that only experience can give us. (Tom Kealey's short story "The Birds in Your House" has an awesome line referring to grit, pluck, and mettle). I am scared of but look forward to weathering those rough-and-tumble years that wise elders reminisce about with a glint in their eye. I will have those moments when I don't think I will get through, but I will be all the stronger because of it. It is a vulnerable stage of life; done with formal training, I strike out on my own. But the values and foundation I have developed will be the forge that transforms these experiences into a more durable, lasting character. I am only allowed to write so flowery on New Years.

No comments: