Monday, February 22, 2016

ICU This Week

I'm attending in the critical care unit this week, which effectively means I'm not going to blog much. This week usually ends up exhausting me because I think to do it right for the patients, I have to devote my attention completely to the unit. When I was an intern, I was one of those who had to settle everything in before getting to my notes, and now as an attending I'm not much different. By the time I admitted two patients, rounded on fifteen others, talked to consultants, intubated, placed three lines, and squared away orders, it was time for sign out. I wrote all my notes after I should go home. It might be like that all week. On the other hand, I love this role and it makes me feel like a "real doctor" more than almost anything else. So I enjoy it and I'm present and I won't have much time for this blog.

Craig

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are doctors often only on a service for a week or a few weeks at a time? Does that get confusing?

Craig said...

Great question! I always thought that was weird myself, especially since as a medical student or resident, rotations were often a month or two long. I don't think I have a great answer, but it probably has to do with work-life balance concerns. As a medical student and resident, I sort of assumed I'd be working long hours, weekends, and holidays. But most attendings don't want that sort of life. So we cover a week or two at a time to give ourselves a break. As a resident, when you have a day off, your co-resident or fellow covers your patients. But attendings have no such luxury. Working an entire week without respite can be exhausting.

You're right though, that this creates problems. I know my patients best at the end of the week, when I'm about to hand them off to the next provider. It takes me a day or two to get into the swing of things. There would be more efficiency if the same provider covered for longer periods of time. Some places try to achieve that.

Mostly, for me, it is the history and culture of what has been done, what works, and what people expect. So, I'm nearly done with my week in the unit.

Anonymous said...

Okay, that makes sense! I wonder what is like for the patients...if it is hard to build trust with one doctor and then have a new one come in.