Wednesday, March 30, 2016

There's a Day for Everyone

I found out today was Doctor's Day. I guess there's a day for everyone. On some level, it bothers me as it fuels the "everyone is special" message in our society ("Let's celebrate our graduating second graders!"). I have to say, though, I appreciated our luncheon; the private community hospital I'm at goes all out. So the particularly cool thing about National Doctor's Day is that it celebrates the first use of ether anesthesia for surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital. There aren't a lot of public proclamations about anesthesia, and to celebrate all physicians on the day general anesthesia was first used is a big deal. It makes me feel a little tingly inside to be recognized as such. Now, if only we had a Google doodle celebrating this...

No comments: