Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Histo/Path and Small Groups

Histology is the microscopic study of normal cells while pathology is the study of abnormal cells. Every week, we have one or two histo/path labs (2-3 hours each). It's pretty tedious. I'm not thrilled about cell biology, and while I see the relevance to pathology, it's hard to see whether a lot of doctors need to know this stuff. A lot of people seem to hate histo/path, but I guess it's pretty cool when you finally find that monocyte when looking at a blood smear. In any case, all of this stuff is new; I didn't really do too much microscope stuff as an undergrad. I would have never guessed that I would be doing more of it as a medical student. We also have small group discussions, sort of like sections as undergrad where we work through problem sets. It's fun; I like my group, and the professor always brings in food.

No comments: