Saturday, December 02, 2006

How to be a Doctor

You don't have to be a genius to be a doctor. That sometimes surprises people. True, we are in school for forever. There's a lot of material to learn. Most of us are pushed to our limits in mastering all the information. You have to be not only a jack of all trades, but also a master of some. There are so many disciplines that one cannot find them all easy. But despite that, you don't have to be brilliant. Many of my classmates are, but I also have peers here whose strengths lie elsewhere: in leadership, dedication to service, the compassion necessary for a patient-doctor relationship. Doctors need to have many different skills, talents, and abilities; in some cases, photographic memory and amazing critical thinking are not the most important of these. The more I think about it, medical school is not difficult in that there aren't any concepts I'm afraid I won't get. Instead, it's the volume of information that pushes my mental organizational skills.

No comments: