Friday, May 09, 2008

Orthopedic Surgery II

One thing I've noticed about orthopedic surgeries is that the set-up time for surgeries is significant. For example, ACL surgeries require the leg to be secured at the thigh but mobile at the knee. The other leg needs to be out of the way, and a surprising amount of effort and equipment goes into effecting that. The rotator cuff arthroscope I saw required the patient to be sitting up, which doesn't sound very remarkable. But we spent a lot of time making sure the airway would not be compromised, especially since the sterile draping would go over the patient's head, preventing us from being able to see the head and neck.

At the end of surgeries, I get to suture close the surgical incisions. For residents and attendings, it's a chore; it's a mindless task after the main show. But I really enjoy it. The residents are really good about guiding me about how big the bite should be, how tight the knot. Even in these three days in the OR, I find that my manual facility has really improved. And it's a fun thing to allocate to the medical student.

No comments: