Friday, December 25, 2015

Happy Christmas

Today, I met a 26 week old premature infant, delivered in emergency circumstances. I think of what it means to be born this day and what it means to be born over three months early, and also what it means to enter a world that can offer that child a chance. I also think of what it means to have surgery on a holiday, to spend the day in the hospital rather than at home, the subsequent days recovering. I also think of what it means to work today - and not of myself - I'm used it - but for all those I encountered today - endoscopy nurses and technicians, labor and delivery nurses, operating room nurses, anesthesia technicians, operating room assistants. I think of those working in the cafe where I grabbed a quick lunch leaving work. I think of all those who would rather be somewhere else, doing something different, seeing other people, feeling healthy and worry-free. I hope we all have happy holidays - and if not that - at least holidays where we feel loved, supported, and safe.

No comments: