Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Types of Anesthesia

I was recently asked by a patient, "How many types of anesthesia are there?" It's an interesting yet odd question because I wasn't sure how to answer it. One interpretation might be that anesthesia can be delivered as a general anesthetic, through a neuraxial technique (like an epidural or spinal), through a regional nerve block, through local anesthetic, or as IV sedation. But I'm not sure that's how I think about it. In my mind, anesthesia is a sophisticated art and science where the nuances, details, and decisions matter, and that is what distinguishes each individual anesthetic.

Although the vast majority of anesthetics are performed with a limited number of medications and agents, the tailoring of an anesthetic to a patient, surgeon, and procedure is rarely "cook-book." I was talking to an anesthesiologist at a different institution and we were surprised how differently we do our anesthetics. Most of it is institution-specific; the culture of a place affects the medical decision making. At this hospital in New York, for example, anesthesiologists use a lot more laryngeal mask airways and rarely use long-acting opiates like hydromorphone. When I moved from an academic hospital to private practice, I adjusted my anesthetic techniques to the medications that were available. It's a good reminder that there's no "one right way" to anesthetize a patient, and that a lot of different factors influence our decision making.

2 comments:

Ricky said...

Hi Craig, thanks again for sharing your insights through this blog. I'll be joining the anesthesia residency program at Stanford next July. I have a career interest in critical care medicine, and would love to read your thoughts about both your residency and fellowship experiences, particularly from a research perspective. If you don't mind, would it be possible to PM you? Thanks!

Craig said...

Hey Ricky, sorry for the late reply, was gone for New Years. Congratulations! Stanford is an awesome program and you'll have a great time and an outstanding education. Send me an email at craigchen AT gmail and we'll get in touch.