Tuesday, October 10, 2006

FPC

Foundations of Patient Care is a longitudinal course through our first two years to teach us to interact with patients. It's a bit of a relief to have such a fuzzy course, but it also helps us feel more like doctors. We've been learning the medical interview and how to talk to patients. I feel fairly comfortable with most of that because of volunteering at the VA when I was an undergrad; I can deal with fairly sick patients, problems in communication, and stuff like that. However, taking a history seems fairly complicated; there's a lot to cover in a short amount of time, but with practice, I am sure I'll get the hang of it. We've started a little on learning the differential diagnosis diagnosis process (like House, MD).

The other aspect of the course is the physical exam. We've covered vital signs, abdominal exam, pulmonary exam, and cardiac exam. We'll also learn the musculoskeletal in the next few weeks. That's pretty exciting; we get to play with our stethoscopes and stuff. It's not an easy thing to do, but I guess that's why practice is so important.

No comments: