Sunday, December 31, 2006

Adherence

Medical adherence or compliance (the less PC but more commonly used term) is the concept that patients don't follow through in filling prescriptions and taking their medications as recommended by the physician. When I first thought about this, I thought, "Who would ever do that?" After all, many drugs have double blind random controlled trials showing their effectiveness in reducing mortality and morbidity. After memorizing the pharmacokinetics and mechanisms of action and indications of each drug, I thought, "That's all I need to know." You figure out what the patient has, you prescribe the treatment, and you're done.

I have realized it's not all that easy. After being sick for the past few days, I realize that no one wants to take drugs. There are lots of reasons, most I probably haven't even fathomed. However, I didn't want to medicate (even just over-the-counter) for several reasons. It's an admission that you're sick. It's inconvenient. There are side-effects. Now, I know I will be fine whether or not I take NSAIDs. And I would assume that if I had something life threatening that could be cured with medication, then I would comply. But I can already see that it is not as easy as I originally assumed.

No comments: