Sunday, May 06, 2007

Home Visit

One of our assignments was to do a home visit for a patient, a very "FPC" thing to do. This would allow us to build a stronger relationship with the patient, see them in a comfortable environment, and assess their living situation for any alarming health problems. This assignment was unreasonably easy for me; my preceptorship takes place at a nursing facility, and all the patients live there. So at the end of a preceptorship, I asked a patient if she would mind me coming up to visit her apartment, and the home visit was arranged.

I did the usual things, asking her about her life, how her age and chronic illnesses affect her daily living, and her general health. I checked her medications and made sure she wasn't having any problems with them. I assessed the home for hazards like extension cords, poor lighting, lack of handlebars in the bathrooms. But obviously, as she lived in a nursing care facility, there really weren't any problems. But she enjoyed the company, the conversation, and the chance to discuss her everyday health and how it affected her.

No comments: