Saturday, May 03, 2008

Sports Medicine

I just finished the first week of a short two-week rotation in orthopedic surgery. I work with a sports medicine physician who is also the team doctor for national soccer and taekwondo teams which is very cool. Although the hours of sports clinic aren't bad (8:30-5), the schedule is packed; patients are allotted only 15 minutes each, which includes not only the history and physical but also dictation. This is typical of a regular clinic, but certainly isn't what I'm used to. Sports clinic is also nice because most of the patients are otherwise young and healthy athletes. I've seen a lot of knee and shoulder injuries, especially ACL tears and rotator cuff injuries. I've been learning a lot about those joints and how to do a good physical exam, feeling a positive Lachman and pivot shift. We also have didactics in the morning (conference from 6:45-8).

No comments: