Thursday, October 02, 2008

Observations

Skill sets are pruned as you go along. Already, I feel rusty with the mental status exam and the neurologic exam when just a few months ago, these were second nature. I purposely try to do a good psych or neuro evaluation on the appropriate patients simply to keep my skills intact.

Hospitals generate a ridiculous amount of waste. Even though we have an electronic medical record system, we plough through reams of paper a day, as well as procedure kits and other supplies. I find it worrisome.

Even medical students receive a surprising amount of respect. I'm not used to it, and I certainly don't feel like I deserve it. It's also scary that when nurses, therapists, or patients ask me for an opinion or an order, it matters. Responsibility is intimidating, and we get lots of responsibility at this hospital.

I like the fact that in the hospital, we don't have to worry about money. I'm aware of the patients without insurance, but I like being able to order what needs to be done for their health regardless of their financial status.

Rules of Surgery:
1. Eat when you can.
2. Sleep when you can.
3. Don't mess with the pancreas.

No comments: