Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Week 5

Switching over to the trauma service required a little bit of adaptation, but I really like the team. The interns are really nice to me, the PAs teach a lot, and I feel like I'm appreciated for helping out. I take as many patients as I can handle, and I get a bit of freedom in deciding what I do. Though it's mostly floor work, I get to do things I think are exciting like taking out staples and chest tubes (really less exciting than it sounds). I've been taking care of patients with post-operative ileus, open book pelvic fractures, spinal cord injuries, and acute abdomen. I got to see an appendicitis from start-to-finish which was cool; I dictated the history and physical and scrubbed into the surgery to see the "lap appy." The only other surgery I saw was a peri-rectal abscess drainage. I'm learning a lot about tib-fib fractures and gun shot wounds and chest tube management. Interestingly, compared to elective surgery, trauma has way more male than female patients and a younger population. Despite the chaos, I like this service, and I feel like I'm contributing something unique to the patients.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey craig..good to read your blog. I'm Hrish-i've just finished medical school from India. I'm actually joining UCSF as a postdoc fellow from next year. I too have an interest in cardiology and critical care. I wanted to get some more info about UCSF and just get to know the place a bit more. I'm visiting UCSF on the 31st October to visit the lab. Do I could email you for some more info? Let me know. Hrish

Craig said...

sure...email address is: craigchen AT gmail DOT com