Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Surgeons

Surgeons have a particular personality. They like immediate gratification. Sew up a cut, drain an abscess, remove an appendix, resect a cancer. You do it, and the patient gets better. Surgeons take the diseases where you can see what's wrong, dissect it out, and deal with it. As a result, they come across as impatient and demanding. If you make them wait, if you do something wrong, if you don't prepare, they are unhappy. Surgeons are direct. They speak their mind. You know when a surgeon is unsatisfied or angry. They see things as black and white; surgeons are sometimes wrong, never in doubt. They're bold. They're arrogant. They see what they want. They get what they want.

After realizing this about surgeons, I understand a little better why they have their reputation among medical students. They come across as harsh, impossible to please, and imposing. They can be fickle and moody, and they will take their emotions out on anyone. Some days, they can be brilliant, supportive, dedicated teachers. Other days, they are best avoided. On this rotation, I sometimes feel that I'm treading a fine line; I want to engage as much as I can, but if I mess something up, no matter how small, I will regret it. It's not the greatest atmosphere for learning, but it's the one I'm given. Of course, not all surgeons are like this, and many non-surgeons are like this too. It's just what I've noticed on this rotation.

No comments: