Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Stanford Fund

Those who participated in extracurriculars at Stanford know The Stanford Fund well. In order for student groups to get funding, members have to write Stanford Fund letters (not to be confused with fun letters). We hand-wrote letters of appreciation to donors emphasizing how The Stanford Fund has personally affected our education. I actually love hand-written letters and I think it is a lost art. But writing dozens of fund letters is really time-consuming (I'd spend half of rehearsal finishing mine up).

I donate a token sum every year, and this year, I was shocked to get a taste of the Stanford Fund letter. To encourage more donors, an inspiring undergrad sent me a (typed) letter of her life story. Having written fund letters, I think it's funny how I can identify the key elements of the format they stipulate. In any case, I was pretty amused to receive one of these things I spent so much of undergrad writing. I don't want a hand-written one though, now that I know how tedious they can be.

Image from givingtostanford.stanford.edu.

No comments: