Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Certified

The residency list is in. Good luck to all my friends and classmates on the match! And thank you to friends, family, and faculty for helping me figure out my list. What I've realized is that on paper, many of the programs are nearly indistinguishable. All the ones I visited offer outstanding clinical training, and though case load and case diversity vary, the stipulations of the accrediting body ACGME narrow that disparity. Nearly all the places I visited offer strong research opportunities, send residents to fellowships, and prepare them for academic positions. Some have unique aspects - innovative research programs, simulator training, combined residency/fellowship programs, opportunities to do anesthesia on zoo animals. But I think each program distinguished itself through an ineffable yet salient quality - some mixture of personality, gut response, environment, attitude, dynamics, and luck. Though programs on paper only differ in details, my mental image and perception of them flowered with the visit. I don't think it was particular descriptors that differed: all programs were friendly, welcoming, cordial, professional. But at some interview days, I felt the residents were more similar to me or I found myself brimming with questions or I was simply happier.

In any case, I know my personality. I am never 100% certain of the right decision. But once a decision is made, I don't regret it. I really enjoyed visiting residency programs and I don't think I could say which ones were the best, only which ones seemed to fit me, my expectations, and my goals most closely. In any case, for the rest of the week, I'm going to blog about non-medical topics just to get a little distance from school and the rest of my life.

No comments: