Monday, February 01, 2010

May Not Be Suitable for Everyone

Not all viewers may want to see the following picture of an eye surgery so I've sized it smaller than usual (click to enlarge). I debated with myself whether to post this or not since I was mildly taken aback by it and some people might find it a little disgusting. In fact, I decided against ophthalmology simply because I would not be able to do something like this. But this example of strabismus surgery is a gorgeous photograph showing the medial rectus being disinserted following pre-placement of Vicryl sutures. A forceps is grasping the superior pole of the muscle, a speculum is holding the eye open, and scissors are cutting. From an anesthesia standpoint, eye surgeries are on the more boring side of things, but the precision of such a procedure is quite amazing. This image was a Wikipedia picture of the year in 2006.

Image is in the public domain, from Wikipedia.

No comments: