Monday, November 08, 2010

Home Is Where the Heart Is


Finally, the twilight of my five month call marathon. After inpatient wards at Stanford (which ended a while ago, but blogs always lag), I moved onto the cardiology service. Unfortunately, I am feeling burned out, which is sad because if I had boundless energy, I would really love this rotation. It has a good mix of ICU and quick-turnover ward cases, simple bread-and-butter and complex patients. The attendings have been some of the best in intern year so far. The experience is high-powered, demanding, and rich. I feel like I'm just chugging along, but I try to get as much out of it as I can.

We begin each morning in the coronary care unit, the cardiac ICU. I love the ICU. It feels oddly reassuring to me. We discuss all the new overnight ICU admissions in a Socratic method style. The CCU attendings I've had have been phenomenal, weaving in education with the evolving stories of each patient. From acute heart attacks to frightening cardiac rhythms to dramatic heart failure, the cases illustrate some of the best physiology I've seen in a while. We pore over EKGs, analyze Swan-Ganz tracings, labor over chest X-rays. CCU rounds can be fairly exhausting, but they are always thoroughly educational.

Image is from Wikpiedia, in the public domain.

No comments: