Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Students

Another role we take on as interns is that of mother duck. Particularly on ward months, we get assigned third year medical students who follow us around like ducklings. We co-follow patients with them, teach them, review their notes, encourage them to come up with an assessment and plan. I have grown to love this role. It is really fun to realize that I have knowledge to pass on. But more than that, it is so satisfying to see students come up with answers themselves. I remind myself to avoid simply telling students answers to questions that they could potentially figure out themselves. While I am loathe to assign "homework," I do like to prod and push the third years to read independently and think critically about their cases. Their questions challenge me, force me to see different perspectives, renew my enjoyment for learning. I also think students contribute to the care of the patients they follow. Student notes are the most thorough; if I wonder who a patient lives with or whether they have pets or about their family history - things I am notoriously poor at recording - I have no doubt that the MS3 knows. Students also prompt us to broaden our differential diagnoses, look into the most recent treatments for diseases, and address even the small issues. Teaching itself is also such an incredibly important skill to practice and develop. It is one of the best parts of intern year.

No comments: