Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bing Concert Series

Most students who went to Stanford University know the name Bing very well. Helen and Peter Bing are amazing benefactors to Stanford who have made extraordinarily generous contributions to many aspects of the university. As an undergraduate, I played in the orchestra in Bing Concert Hall, visited Ireland on a Bing Overseas Studies trip, and toured the Cantor Arts Museum, supported by the Bings. In any case, the hospital has a noon music performance twice a week in the atrium called the Bing Concert Series, and it is fantastic. Residency keeps us busy, but if I have a chance, I always stop for a moment to listen to the musicians - from jazz to classical to Irish to Latin. I am always so happy to see patients there, even if they come with their IV poles, TB masks, and surgical drains. Listening to live music in the hospital puts my day in perspective and makes me thankful that I work in such a pleasant harmonious environment.

Image of Jean-Gabriel Ferlan is in the public domain, from Wikipedia.

No comments: