Thursday, September 01, 2011

Done with the VA

I only have two months at the VA this year and I just finished my general OR time there. I really enjoyed it. It works at a slower pace (which can be frustrating at times, but is so nice early in the year), the attendings are outstanding, the experience was diverse but not too complex. I got to do ENT, urology, plastic surgery, ophthalmology, general surgery, orthopedic, and other cases. We had simulations, morbidity & mortality rounds, and spontaneous bedside teaching. I love the patient population at the VA; the veterans are patient, understanding, and kind to trainees. Their medical histories were not unusual; there weren't any extraordinarily rare diseases or surgeries. It's a great place to start. I got to know the surgeons and operating room staff; the anesthesia techs, in particular, were awesome. Overall, it was a really good experience and got me started pretty smoothly.

No comments: