Friday, March 30, 2012

Introduction to Open Heart Surgery


One of the benefits of the echocardiography rotation is that I get to see cardiac anesthesia and surgery without the stress of having to do it. Since I'm an extra hand, I can take time getting echo images, following the surgery, and helping out with the anesthesia. This is great for me because the set-up for anesthesia is more complicated and involved than any surgeries I've done this far. There are more medications, drips, machines, and monitors to prepare. The start of the case has a series of steps to get adequate intravenous and arterial access. By helping out, I get exposed to the pace and general steps leading up to and including the surgery. I get to think of cardiovascular physiology and pathology in a safe context, watch the surgeons sawing the sternum and preparing the heart for bypass, and see the coordination in putting the patient on bypass. Hopefully when my cardiac rotation comes around in a few weeks, I'll be ready.

Images shown under Fair Use, from www.stanford.edu.

No comments: