Thursday, March 15, 2012

Opinions on Medicine

It's fun and fascinating to read different viewpoints and opinions on medicine; I scroll through most news items on topics related to medicine, I glance through blogs written by physicians, and most recently, I'm looking at a few chapters of a book proposal. The diversity of things people write about and the opinions expressed is really amazing. Some articles provoke a vein of indignation, some articles express ideas I've already blogged about, some articles I can't understand. Frequently, I look at the same evidence as the writer but come up with very different conclusions. I balance what I read with my personal experience in medicine, but what scares me is that the layperson does not have that ballast. What if the public latches onto some extreme view of medicine? What if the opinion expressed is one-sided? What if it's a straw-man argument?

I write this simply because this blog, like everything else, is only a lens through which I capture bits and pieces of my life as a resident. I may be completely wrong, biased, or skewed. So take what I say with a grain of salt, and feel free to comment on any post with your thoughts.

No comments: