Monday, September 17, 2012

Fun

As I finish my two months in pediatric anesthesia, I reflect on how fun days are simply because of our patients. Although adults may be able to think rationally, tolerate discomfort, and communicate with words, they are rarely charming, adorable, or playful. But every day, even if the anesthesia is unremarkable, the children are not. Some kids show an amazing resilience, showing courage as they ask about different things they see in the operating rooms. Some have a huge desire to please and can be coerced with promises of stickers or popsicles. Some kids simply have cute smiles. I shouldn't underestimate the pleasure of working with children, and I will miss doing so when I switch to the ICU next week.

Image of child shown under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License, from Wikipedia.

No comments: