Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Resident Well-Being

Resident well-being is one of those topics that most physicians find either very important or extraordinarily dull. Some of the old-timers, those who walked uphill both ways in snow, take the attitude that there was no focus on their well-being and they turned out fine, so why all this hubbub about making sure we're happy? Others, the movers and shakers, are realizing exhausted, unhappy, depressed, and ill residents are not good for patient care, do not create great physicians, and are not an ethical part of training. Residents have a very biased view of things. But overall, Stanford is not a harsh or malignant program and most residents feel like their wellness is valued. Nevertheless, it is interesting when I compare my position to peers in other fields. I work over sixty hours in a hospital, yet I haven't seen my own doctor in ages. I've learned not to take for granted weekends or days off - every day is a work day unless told otherwise. I've been inculcated in a hierarchical structure, one that discourages us from speaking up against our mentors. Stress is a regular, real, and expected part of my job. In small quantities, perhaps these things are reasonable, but a system that seeks to train leaders may have to have different values.

No comments: